Mrs. Dorothy Ufot SAN, FCIArb (UK)
Position: Managing Partner, Dorothy Ufot & Co.
Mrs. Dorothy Udeme Ufot, SAN is the founding and Managing Partner of Dorothy Ufot & Co, a leading law firm in Nigeria where she heads the International Arbitration and Litigation departments of the firm. Dorothy is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK) and a Chartered Arbitrator. She is an immediate past Member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris (2006-June 2018). Dorothy is on the panel of arbitrators of the AAA/ICDR, ICSID, ICC, KCAB International, CIArb, HKIAC, DIAC, SIAC, AIAC, BAC/BIAC, EDAC and the Energy Arbitrators' List. Dorothy is recommended as a leading expert in WWL: Commercial Arbitration (2009 to 2020). African Arbitrator of the Year 2020.
International Arbitration Appointments
|No. of international arbitration appointments||21|
|No. of those as chair||1|
|No. of those as sole arbitrator||6|
|No. of those as wing-arbitrator||14|
|No. of those appointed by arbitral institutions||15|
|No. of those that were ad hoc arbitrations||6|
|Names of African co-arbitrators||1. Prof. Fidelis Oditah, QC, SAN; 2. Uyi Omonuwa, OON, SAN; 3. Michael Igbokwe, SAN; 4. A.B. Mahmood, SAN|
|Names of arbitral institutions involved||1. The International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
2. Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
3. The Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC).
4. American Arbitration Association/International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR).
5. London Court of International Arbitration.
6. ICC International Court of Arbitration.
7. Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration.
|Appointing authority involved in the ad-hoc arbitrations?||Yes|
|Names of appointing authority in ad-hoc arbitrations||American Arbitration Association/International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR).|
|Where did you sit?||1. London; 2. Paris; 3. Dubai; 4. Dublin; 5. Lagos; 6. Abuja|
|Under which applicable laws and rules?||1. ICSID Rules. Applicable Law: Gambian Law, UK-Kenya BIT, Pakistan-Turkey BIT, France-Hungary BIT.
2. Rules made pursuant to the Nigerian Arbitration and Conciliation Act, CAP A18, LFN 2004. Applicable Law: The Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
3. LCIA Rules. Applicable Law: Tanzanian Law, English law, Irish Law.
4. Rules of Conciliation and Arbitration of Dubai Chambers of Commerce and Industry (DCCI). Applicable Law: Laws of Dubai and the Federal Laws of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
5. ICC Arbitration Rules. Applicable Law: English law, Turkish Law, The Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
6. The SCC Rules. Applicable Law: Tanzanian Law.
7. The Rules of Arbitration of the Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration. Applicable Law: The Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.